Thick Raw Lemon Bars
Lemon bars have always been a favorite dessert of mine.
My mom got me hooked on them as a little girl, and I pine for them whenever I cruise by a bakery display…out of necessity is born a recipe!
This raw version is made up of a chewy, sweet, and slightly tangy bottom layer topped with a rich and creamy layer of lemon-y goodness…the sweetness offsets the lemon enough to keep you from puckering, while still maintaining the citrus flavor that makes these bars so fresh and clean.
- Bottom Layer:
- ¾ c. walnuts
- ¼ c. unsweetened coconut
- 5 soft dates (I used Medjool)
- ¼ t. salt
- 2-3 t. lemon zest
- Top Layer:
- 6 T. coconut oil, softened
- 2 T. maple syrup
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1 t. lemon zest
- 3-5 drops stevia, to taste
- pinch of turmeric, to enhance yellow ‘lemon’ color, optional
- Process together the ingredients for the bottom layer.
- Make sure it is well combined, and press it into a small glass dish (I used a 7 x 5 inch Pyrex dish).
- Place the coconut oil into a small bowl.
- Beat the oil with a hand mixer until creamy (about 1-2 minutes).
- Add in the lemon juice, zest, maple syrup, stevia, and turmeric (if using) and mix until combined and a bit fluffy.
- Spread the top layer onto the bottom layer.
- Place into the fridge or freezer until set (15-30 minutes)**.
- Cut and enjoy!
Thick, luscious bars….
…and the obligatory bite shot…
I can see myself nibbling on one of these while sipping a cup of tea in the late afternoon…bliss.