Pure chocolate, hazelnut and chai BLISS. I credit the recipe and photos (I devoured the results before thinking to take a picture) to Nouveau Raw, a great source for easy and delicious raw recipes including many sweets treats.
As a trial run, I cut the recipe into 1/4, making about 2-4 brownies. Where the ingredients call for chai tea bags, merely empty the contents of the packet into the mixture. I took a tablespoon of a loose leaf chai and ground it up into a fine powder with mortar and pestle before incorporating it into the batter.
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 brownies
- 4 cups medjool dates, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup cold-pressed raw coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or preferred sweetener)
- 1/4 cup raw grounded flax meal
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 6 coconut chai tea bags
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Prepare the 8×8, straight-edged pan by lining it with plastic wrap. This will help when it comes time to remove the brownies. Set aside.
- Place all ingredients, except the hazelnuts, in food processor. Process using the “S” blade until everything is well incorporated.
- Remove the dough and place in a large bowl.
- Add the chopped hazelnuts and work the dough by hand. Run your hand under the faucet to dampen your hand. Then using the palm of your hand, make folding motions with the dough so the hazel nuts get evenly distributed. If the dough starts to stick to your hands, just dampen them again.
- Press the dough into the pan.
- Put the brownies in the freezer and let it set for a least an hour.
- Slice squares, sprinkle with cacao powder and garnish with whole hazelnuts.